While they may not be the only gemstone heat therapy mats around, Healthyline’s mats are by far the most popular. They have been widely advertised as being capable of mimicking a spa experience. That has to be something, considering you could enjoy them from the comfort of your room. Such a promise also seems realistic when you factor in the five therapies that are combined by the product to create its effect. These therapies are:
- Hot stones therapy
- Far-infrared light therapy
- Red light therapy
- Pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy, and
- Negative ions therapy
All of these therapies come together to deliver a non-toxic therapy. However, that’s not all there is to this. Keep reading to learn how the components of the mat work, and the benefits they bring to the body.
How do the mats work?
These mats are referred to as gemstone heat therapy mats but that’s not all they are as we would point out later. The reason for the name, though, is the role the gemstones play in their function. They essentially kick start the treatment process of the mats.
Companies may use amethyst or jade, but in advanced products, it is more common to come across multiple stones including tourmaline and obsidian. The stones help the mats to transmit far-infrared rays and negative ions essential to their functions. The addition of heat adds the hot stone effect to the mix as well. As such, the gemstones are very much central to the effectiveness of these mats, hence the name.
These heat therapy mats continue to grow in popularity, largely because of their convenience in-home therapy. To better understand why they are effective, knowledge of their underlying therapies and mechanisms are needed. We have done the grunt work for you and here’s all you need to know:
The human body depends on electrical signals for many processes such as contractions of the heart, neurotransmission, and movement as well. As such, a problem with the electrical alignment of the body can be problematic. PEMF devices utilize electromagnetic fields to align electric signals on a cellular level.
Red light therapy
The effectiveness of red light therapy hasn’t been scientifically confirmed and evidence in its support is not enough to reach definite conclusions yet. However, the therapy is thought to work by strengthening the mitochondria. This results in enhanced mitochondria function, more ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) production and consequently, more energy in cells. It is assumed that this energy helps reinvigorate the cell, thus, raising their functioning and helping repair damage to them.
Hot stones therapy
This is a form of massage therapy that has been proven to have effectiveness in several cases. During this massage, heated stones are placed on parts of the body. Obviously, the concept is not utilized in its purest form in the healthyline gemstone therapy mat, but the effectiveness holds. The stones are usually placed along the spine, on the stomach, chest, facepalms, feet etc.
Negative ions therapy
It has been indicated as being capable of treating respiratory conditions and Seasonal Affective Disorders, but both claims have not been proven yet.
Far-infrared light therapy
This type of therapy makes use of Far-Infrared rays. These rays are some of the invisible rays of light from the sun. Of all the sun rays, though, they have the longest wavelength. You might expect that a little sunbathing would expose you to the benefits, but whatever benefits you may get would be cancelled out by the dangerous ultraviolet rays. On the other hand, specialized far-infrared devices are free from ultraviolet rays, controlled and are available on demand.
Benefits of healthyline gemstone heat therapy mats
The potential benefits of these gemstone therapy mats are numerous. Many of them have been proven as well. As such, rather than simply listing out claims, we would be indicating the benefits of the individual therapies of the mat for your perusal.
Benefits of hot stones therapy
- It helps reduce pain and relax the muscles. The heated stones of this therapy have long been employed in the dilation of blood vessels. This increased blood flow to an affected area helps to reduce muscle spasms and increase range of motion/flexibility. It might be more beneficial to alternate the use of hot and cold stones here as the cold stones help to relieve inflammation
- It reduces stress and anxiety. As expected of a massage therapy that is effective against muscle spasms, hot stones therapy is useful in relieving anxiety and stress as well.
- It facilitates sleep. This massages therapy has been shown to enhance relaxation and promote sleep. As such, they are a non-pharmaceutical alternative in the treatment of insomnia and could logically replace sleeping pills. Research has also shown that sleep induced by massages are more relaxing and restorative.
- It has positive effects on the symptoms of autoimmune diseases. Preliminary studies into hot stone massage therapy have indicated that it might affect autoimmune disease, especially fibromyalgia. There has also been recent evidence of benefits in rheumatoid arthritis. The evidence indicates that the massage could help reduce pain, increase strength and increase the range of motion of arthritic patients.
- It helps boost the immune system. Preliminary evidence suggests that this massage therapy could affect the immune system, especially in the regulation of water retention and blood pressure.
Benefits of PEMF therapy
- Reduction (and management) of pain intensity
- Enhanced circulation
- Reduction of swelling and inflammation
- Improved muscular performance and movement
- Improved cellular and tissue oxygenation
- Improvement of cell/tissue repair and recovery
- Strengthening of the immune system
- Reduction of fatigue
- Shortening of recovery times from injuries and wounds
Benefits of Far-Infrared therapy
- It also maintains and promotes healthy lung function
- Strengthens cardiovascular system. This is supported by an 80s NASA research, which concluded that stimulation of cardiovascular function using far-infrared could help facilitate cardiovascular conditioning in astronauts.
- Helps in the detoxification of the body. Far-infrared rays have been indicated in the elimination of fats, chemicals, and toxins from the body. It is also used to unclog capillary vessels, thus improving blood circulation.
- It is helpful in the management of pain and aches. The heating effect of far-infrared rays helps reduce soreness on nerve ends, reduce muscle spasms, relax muscle fibers, reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
- It boosts the immune system. It does this by increasing the production of killer T-cells and white blood cells (leukocytes) by the thymus and bone marrow respectively.
Uses of gemstone heat therapy
- Wound healing
PEMF and far-infrared therapy are both effective in facilitating wound healing. Far-infrared rays are believed to achieve this by stimulating fibroblasts, which in turn increase the production of collagen. The collagen helps wound healing along and also repairs damaged tissue. As a result, the therapy is effective at healing burns, and scar tissue and also with skin breakouts and reduce aging signs. On the other hand, PEMF helps to increase cell energy to quicken healing.
Hot stones, far-infrared and PEMF do not cure cancer, but they go a long way in making cancer symptoms bearable. While there is a largely unproven belief that hyperthermia therapy destroys malignant cells, the muscle-relaxing, immune-boosting and sleep-facilitating effects of these therapies provide great support in cancer care.
- Heart disorders
Where the PEMF therapy of the mats improves circulation by aligning the electrical pulses of the heart, hot stone massage dilates blood vessels in the target area and far-infrared warms the tissue of the heart and blood vessels to improve their health. All of these come together to reduce the risk of heart disorders.
- Chronic fatigue and bones/joints conditions
The hot stones therapy induces relaxation of the muscles, PEMF facilitates electromagnetic rejuvenation of cells and neuromuscular junctions, while far-infrared therapy works on muscle fibers, muscle spasms and pain. All three combine to enhance recovery and reduce fatigue. They have also facilitated gemstone mat use in osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and other such problems.
- Sleep disorders
All three of the proven therapies utilized in gemstone heat mats have an effect on sleep induction and the treatment of sleep disorders. This gives credence to claims that the mats are effective in the treatment of such disorders, including insomnia.
These therapies are natural and, as a result of this, they have fewer side effects than conventional pharmaceutical therapies. That said, there might be conditions that complicate the use of Healthyline gemstone heat mats. So, a consultation with your doctor would be advised before proceeding with the mats.
Research has shown that the mats can assist with conditions such as fibromyalgia, arthritis, insomnia, hypertension, etc. Thus, its effectiveness is not in doubt. A HealthyLine mat could be the difference between healthy, comfortable living and discomfort.